[olug] RE: error w/ cdrdao - SOLVED

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Oct 5 03:26:28 UTC 2003

Brandon Lederer wrote:
> When its burning at 24X, the mouse is CHUGGING across the screen and
> processor usage is 100%.  does anyone have any ideas that might fix
> this so I can use my burner faster?  Kernel options maybe that I am
> missing?

I have similar issues with buring to IDE drives under Windows that go
away when I enable DMA for the CD burner.

There are a couple ways to do it under Linux (note that most of these
are untested - the only way I've bothered trying to burn under Linux is
with a SCSI burner):
  * hdparm -d1 /dev/hd<whatever>
  * If you're compiling your own kernels, there's an option called
    "Enable DMA only for disks" under "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices"
    that should be set to "No"
  * On your kernel command line (ie the paramters you pass the kernel on
    boot): ide0=dma if it's on the primary channel, ide1=dma if it's on
    the secondary channel.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us