[olug] RE: error w/ cdrdao

Brandon Lederer brandon at tolkien-movies.com
Sat Oct 4 19:45:31 UTC 2003

Im saying to an ide ata 100 7200 RPM disk in windows xp 40 MB/ sec, about 30
MB/ sec in win 2k, and i think about 25 is the most ive ever seen in linux...
is reasonable.

So i experimented:

Well, I only run linux so thats all I can experiment with....
I have 2 7200RPM ATA 100 drives.... IBM 75GXP and a WD 120GB Special edition
drive.  both file systems are EXT3.

A copy of a file from one disk to the other went at 19.3 MB / sec on a 733 MB
file.  Should It be faster than this?

Ran a cpl HDPARM commands....
# hdparm -t /dev/hde
/dev/hde:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  118 MB in  3.00 seconds =  39.33 MB/sec
# hdparm -T /dev/hde
/dev/hde:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1084 MB in  2.00 seconds = 542.00 MB/sec

I also know of bonnie, though I havent read it.

What it comes down to however:

I cannot burn w/ my 48x burner at anything faster than 16X w/o buffer
underruns / burnproof.  I can't HDPARM my cdrom b/c its scsi emulation

However, I will assume DMA is on on those drives because of messages during
bootup: