[olug] OpenSSL .97c on FreeBSD

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Fri Oct 3 19:05:20 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 04:36:59PM -0500, neal rauhauser wrote:
>   I see that the ports version of OpenSSL is updated to .97c but the
> vunerable .97a continues to appear in /usr/src.
>
>   I have a real horror of patching up the .97a stuff with a port - I
> really prefer everything in the base system to work. Anyone got a fix
> for this? Am I just missing something obvious?

This was sent to freebsd-security@ yesterday:

 FreeBSD-SA-03:18.openssl
     The issue reported at
     affects the version of OpenSSL included with previous versions
     of FreeBSD.  The impact is limited to denial-of-service.  Because
     of the relative severity of the above issues, this openssl issue
     will likely not be completely dealt with until tomorrow or even
     Saturday.  The official fixed version, OpenSSL 0.9.7c, was
     imported into -CURRENT yesterday, and will be MFC'd to -STABLE
     today, but it will be a bit longer to backport fixes for the
     security branches.

AFAIK, it is not announced yet. I just checked, and it has been MFC'd to
RELENG_4. If you are running RELENG_4, just cvsup and do the normal
 buildworld/installworld. It doesn't look like it is in the security
branches yet (i.e. RELENG_4_8, RELENG_4_7).

Hope that helps.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org