[olug] MAKEDEV help please

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Wed Oct 1 18:53:05 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 01:42:55PM -0500, Terry Bradshaw wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I'm working on getting SCSI emulation going on my Gentoo installation.
> I compiled my kernel using genkernel with SCSI emulation.  I have added
> the hdc=ide-scsi bit to the kernel line in grub.conf.  I was about to
> change /etc/fstab to point to /dev/scd0, but decide to check out /dev,
> and there are no scd entries.  Further research told me that I could add
> them via the MAKEDEV command.  In the man page for MAKEDEV, it says to
> do the following:
[snip]

If you are running Gentoo, then you have devfs installed, so you don't
need to do any makedev stuff.  Also, your CD is still IDE, so it will be
an IDE.  On my system (in which I use Gentoo w/ devfs) I just use
/dev/cdrom, which points to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0, which points to
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd.

--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net