[olug] single board computers

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Sun Nov 30 14:07:29 UTC 2003

   Ryan,

     You need to come to my house here in Omaha. Bring a sawed off broom
handle, a little vaseline, and when you get here just leave your pants
at the door - I'll be happy to teach you everything you need to know
about operating 802.11b gear in a metro environment.

     My methods of discouraging you will certainly be less painful than
the real thing, but if you're one of those determined do-it-yourselfers
this is how the Soekris 4521 would be deployed.

      The 4521 contains two cardbus slots and a miniPCI slot. You can
install two separate 802.11b cards in the cardbus slots, use one in AP
mode, and use the other as backhaul to a central site. There is much to
know about channel usage, polarization, antenna selection, amplifier
placement, and so forth - use google and hunt for n9zia - that is the
call sign of an amateur radio operator who has written much good
information on using ISM band radios. Whatever you do DON'T produce a
business plan based on hitting the theoretical maximums of
channel/polarization use :)

    I wish I could offer you some encouragement, but when I think about
the behavior I've seen from the people involved in wireless internet in
the Omaha metro area I feel like I need a shower or something - maybe
its just an Omaha thing but the level of sleaze exceeds the buy here/pay
here car business by quite a large margin ...

  FYI you're describing mesh network topology in your last sentence - if
you're going to do that don't forget to get some snake oil to waterproof
the antenna connectors ...

mailto:neal at lists.rauhauser.net
phone:402-301-9555
IM:Neal R Rauhauser
"After all that I've been through, you're the only one who matters,
you never left me in the dark here on my own" - Widespread Panic