[olug] single board computers

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Sun Nov 30 00:45:32 UTC 2003

Jim wrote:
> Nice to hear someone local has had good luck with the Soekris. I am
> planning on ordering a NET4801 next week for use as a firewall platform.
> I have looked at flashdist and OpenSoekris and am looking forward to
> trying to working through the differences with them.

   There are definitely some differences there - the OpenSoekris guy is
asking for a donation 4801 so he can update, but I'd be tempted to just
go at it myself - it doesn't look so hard to do when you understand
vnconfig and have a working system as a model.

   I'm actually sitting here right now puzzling out how to add
bsd-airtools to the base build ...

> I have been having better luck with pf vs the PIX with some NAT
> situations I have been in. Plus, when you break out the cost of a PIX vs
> a Soekris with OpenBSD, it really becomes rather cost effective.
>
> The only thing I don't like about OBSD based firewalls is the moving
> parts, the Soekris seems to take care of that.

   You can get ATA flash pretty easy - I have some 2.5" 80 meg flash
drives around here from when I was building http://mikrotik.com based
routers - works just fine and you're down to one moving part - the power
supply fan.

mailto:neal at lists.rauhauser.net
phone:402-301-9555
IM:Neal R Rauhauser
"After all that I've been through, you're the only one who matters,
you never left me in the dark here on my own" - Widespread Panic