[olug] Re: Linux??? [7:79346]

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Sun Nov 16 14:06:03 UTC 2003

   This looks like it might be trollwords, but then again maybe not
supernet wrote:

> On 16 Nov 2003 at 17:59, supernet wrote:
>>
>>1. I understand that Linux is open source. But isn't open source a
>>security hole? A friend of mine who is a security expert said that

   Open Source means code gets looked over by many eyes and in some
cases formally audited(OpenBSD comes to mind). It is *way* better than
some proprietary OS where you have to hope the vendor will repair the
problem.

   Your friend isn't much of a security expert, sounds like he might
have the Microsoft Hot Dog Stand & Windows Security Operations
certificate, but you won't find any serious security practitioner who
believes that anything M$ does is secure when attached to the public
internet - they tend to favor OpenBSD for high exposure environments and
will generally take *any* OpenSource/FreeSoftware system over Windows no
matter what the system's role will be.

>> Red Hat had whole lot more security patches than Microsoft. Is it true?

   Red Hat is one Linux distribution, and not a particularly good on in
my  opinion. If you want to compare security issues you must look at a
security specific OS like OpenBSD, rather than a general purpose desktop
or enterprise server centric OS like RedHat. I suppose if you *must* do
Linux rather than a BSD derivative I'd start with Gentoo or Debian.

   And it is foolish to count security patches - count incidents. Maybe
FreeBSD has double the security patches for M$, but are they counting
patches for the OS itself and the three THOUSAND packages that it can
install from ports? probably. Are they counting theoretical
vunerabilties related to buffer overflows that get fixed before there
are any exploits in the wild? probably.

   Incident wise over the last four years M$ has had many events where
their stuff got rooted all at once and caused global problems, while the
last time I can recall something like that happening with unix was the
famous Morris sendmail event of 1988.

>>2. Since Linux is open source, it's much cheaper than other
> operating systems. But I always believe you get what you paid for. What if
> there s something wrong with it? What if something happens and your

    There are some distributions (RedHat, SuSe) that have companies that
provide support behind them. In general if you're using a front line
program on a mainline distribution you'll get excellent support. Note
that support in the open source/free software world does NOT mean
someone to shield you from the results of your ignorance. Unix is user
friendly, but its fussy about who it hangs out with - if you're clueless
I'd kindly suggest you stay with windows since you've got a.) support
and b.) an immediate goat when stuff doesn't work.

> CIO
>
>>stands behind you? Who do you call for support?
>>
>>3. I know some big companies, like IBM, are moving to Linux too.
> Are they going to use open source? If not, isn't it become another
> flavor of UNIX? Like SCO or Solaris?

   *sigh*

    SCO is dead meat, Solaris might end up in the same boat if they
don't  figure out a new strategy, SGI is already on the death watch, and
the story is the same for the rest of the proprietary unix derivatives.

    A large portion of 'unix' these days is the GNU programs from the
Free Software Foundation. Linux is just a kernel that happens to get
bundled with distributions that use the GNU stuff. BSD and its
derivatives (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD) all descend from the BSD code but
they include much stuff that is under the GPL (FSF license) rather than
under the BSD license.

   Any more questions?