[olug] Installfest & RSVP

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Wed Nov 26 00:21:15 UTC 2003

<quote who="Terry Bradshaw">
> Just curious...
>
> I noticed the RSVP on the web page for the Installfest.
>
> I've come to one Installfest before.  I was the guy with the spiffy
> aluminum case.
>
> Like last time, I have a stable system and whatever questions I have I
> generally do web searches for (or send to the list)...
>
> ...so I'm not really a candidate for needing help.
>
> I'm experienced with Linux, but I don't have much breadth or depth of
> Linux knowledge yet...
>
> ...so I'm not really a great candidate for providing (much) help when
> there will be so many more knowledgeable folks around (although I would
> be willing to help to the best of my ability).
>
> That said, should a person like me steer clear of the Installfest?  I
> might like to stop in to observe and learn, but I don't want to get in
> the way, either.
>
> I can bring some food.
>
> Terry

The RSVP function is something we are borrowing from other LUG's and how
they organize their fests. (read: bench marking). It is currently in
development... to be here RSN. ;)

If you have been to an Installfest before, then you are a step ahead. Have
you installed Linux? Troubleshoot a problem? then you are two or three
steps ahead.  You have seen how it happens, and can easily integrate into
the operation & help out.

You are a superb candidate for helping someone coming in the door. You
recently (that being a relative term) became more adapt and comfortable
with Linux? Then you are the best candidate for someone who comes in the
door as a total newbie, and can easily express and calm the fears for
those newbies. You can relate to them better, since you recently just
traveled that same path.

The plan is to have individuals such as yourself help with the beginning
(new) installs and troubleshooting. That would leave the more experienced
folks to float around and help  the more troublesome problems and issues.

No one should steer clear of the install fest. This is an opportunity for
you to see how the OS interacts with different platforms and systems, see
first hand others troubleshooting problems. An install fest is not just
for the newbie, but also for the OLUG community to hone & improve on our
skills.

Feel free to volunteer and bring food - we would love to see you there!
The install fest is for everyone interested in Linux.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson