[olug] suse 9 install

Bill Brush bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Sun Nov 23 21:46:53 UTC 2003

Ok, I thought I'd interject here.  While all the manual edits of your
config files are fine, there's an easier way.  Click the menu button,
select System,  Click on YaST.  YaST will start.  Click Peripherals.  Click
Mouse.  Select a different mouse and either click "Test" or use "Alt-T" to
test the new selection.   Repeat until you find one that lets your wheel
work.  I'm fairly certain there are a couple that have the wheel built in.
I do think there are some X programs that won't recognize it though.

FYI, I have heard, but not confirmed that if you manually edit setup files,
and then use YaST it will undo your manual changes.  So if you start
manually hacking the files, be prepared to continue hacking them because
reverting back will undo all that work.

I've actually found YaST to be a very complete, very usable setup and
config utility.

Bill

                      "Patrick Olsen"
                      <rattatpat at hotmai        To:       olug at olug.org
                      l.com>                   cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [olug] suse 9 install
                      olug-bounces at olug
                      .org

                      11/23/03 11:05 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Omaha Linux User
                      Group

>well i went ahead and installed suse 9, i am dual booting on one of my pcs

>and then installed it on a standalone single hd computer. went pretty
smooth
>i thought basically like RH whithout the estimated time thing which was
>nice. it set up smaba fine from the start speed seems to be just fine. it
>did mount all my ntfs partitions which i believe is 3 the one on the dual
>booted hdd and then 2 other storage ones. there are somet things that i
dont
>like, like it didnt rec. the middle button on my mouse as a scroll button,

>RH 8 and 9 did. havent figured out where you go or that im a linux n00b.
but