[olug] Debian: make-kpkg kernel install

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sun Nov 23 19:52:20 UTC 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:44:56 -0600 (CST)
"Jeff Hinrichs" <jeffh at delasco.com> wrote:

|But back to the point about LILO and deb, does a kernel update mandate
|you manually configure LILO under Debian?

|-Jeff

I once found an excellent article on building a kernel the "Debian way"
with make-kpkg and it was just awesome...  I did find some other
references though.

http://www-tcsn.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Administration/Q_20764093.html
see answer from "wkconsulting"

or this one (nice printer friendly)
http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=158

So when I remember doing this, it all eventually came to a "dpkg -i
newkernel.deb" and I had a new kernel installed, it updated lilo.conf for
me automatically I believe... and just named the current "Linux" and the
old kernel "LinuxOLD" though, so it wasn't to helpful.  I believe I
eventually went in anyways and modified lilo.conf

So yeah, you can apt-get install a debian kernel source, apply patches to
it, and install the 'Debian way'... but I don't install new kernels on
every 'apt-get upgrade' like RedHat might do.  The current system does
seem to be so robust as RH's, and I honestly don't prefer to have my
kernel upgraded so often.

cheers
--
 Brian Wiese | bwiese(at)cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru