[olug] job security with a cs degree

Jeff Hinrichs jeffh at delasco.com
Sun Nov 23 18:01:55 UTC 2003

Brian Wiese said:
> With the outsourcing of IT jobs to India and the like for cheap labor,
> its questionable what kind of job security is in store for CS grads.
> Here's a column on it:
>
> Some solace in outsourcing: not all jobs can be moved offshore
> http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/not_all_jobs_can_be_moved_offshore.html

Domain specific business knowledge is key.  It allows you to offer very
specific business related assistance.  When you are talking to bean
counters or management you must be able to communicate in a manner that is
meaningful for them.  In essence, you must become a mini-CIO no matter
what your position.  If your chair is located in a cube farm I'd be very
nervous but if you are included in management meetings you can breathe a
bit easier.

Also, the numbers for outsourced projects are just starting to come in and
on first blush it doesn't seem to be as rosy as the CFO's would want you
to believe.

http://www.informit.com/isapi/product_id~%7BA1A19B19-6E6B-4187-8FB3-13EA72F1ABB7%7D/content/index.asp

http://www.saugatech.com/STPerspectives/5-10-02%20MKT-125%20Goodbye%20CIO.pdf

-Jeff