[olug] Postgresql Install

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Thu Nov 20 08:30:32 UTC 2003

At Wed, 19 Nov 03, Unidentified Flying Banana edcarlsen at cox.net, said:
> I have a Mandrake 9.1 system and installed Postgresql for eventual
> interface to Apache2 through PHP.  I am trying to build a database but
> I am confused. The instructions talk about a database cluster. I only
> know clusters as hardware clusters.  I have postmaster running and
> trying to create a database. Do I need to run the initdb command or
> the createdb command?  And, it wants me to set the PGDATA environment
> variable. Is this done in the /etc/profile?

I think most of your specific questions were answered in a different
post, so I'll just offer a few great PosgreSQL resources you might not
know of.

First of all, there's two PostgreSQL books that are available (free,
full text) online.  Both are fairly solid books, and cover the basics of
installation, setup, and use.  They're both written by PostgreSQL
developers.  They are:

Practical PostgreSQL[1]

PosgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts[2]

In my experience, I've found these two books to be a lot easier to deal
with and follow than the 'stock' PostgreSQL documentation.

I'd also suggest, for convenience, looking into a program to simplify
database management.  One of the best programs I've found for PostgreSQL
database management is pgadmin3[3].  phpPgAdmin[4] is good, too.

> Sorry for dumb questions, but I tried reading the docs.

Hey, nothing wrong with asking questions. ;-)

If you have any more problems, let us know.

 [1] http://www.commandprompt.com/ppbook/
 [2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
 [3] http://www.pgadmin.org
 [4] http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/