[olug] Question about Motorola Canopy wireless equipment

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Tue Nov 18 11:19:27 UTC 2003

    After those Ewoks are done saving Zion you'll need their help
cleaning up your microwave installation if you're operating in metro
Omaha (see .sig to understand this :-)

  Canopy and Trango are both inexpensive 5.8 GHz radios with
multimegabit throughput. They *must* have line of site, they can be
fussy about aiming, etc, etc, and Trango kept their cost down by making
radios WITHOUT retransmit scheme - whole load falls on OSI transport
layer, whoa unto you if there are other things operating in your
frequency. Can't speak to Canopy's methods, but I've got one site
running Canopy and its better than most wireless I've worked on, but I'd
doubt the survivability of it in a mobile, industrial type environment
like a combine.

   If you're looking for an inexpensive way to get telemetry from ag
gear  I have some questions for you:

1. does it need to be real time, or can it be dropped off by the machine
once it gets close enough to a radio facility?

2. if it is real time data how fast are you going? If you don't need
more than a 64k channel there are much better solutions, in terms of
central site cost & maintenance trouble than using Canopy.

3. how many systems are you talking about tracking? Are you close enough
to Sprint/Verizon towers to use their internet via cell? Yes, it costs
monthly, but its predictable and wireless troubleshooting gets *very*
expensive.