[olug] CVS: cvsup on FreeBSD

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Sun Nov 9 07:17:13 UTC 2003

Somehow, I do not think Sean volunteered. I wish he would though. =)

Irish

<quote who="neal rauhauser">

>   Lets all give Sean a big hand for volunteering to do a presentation on
> cvsup+portupgrade :-)
>
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 07:49:11AM -0500, neal rauhauser wrote:
>> >   The BSD world keeps the kernel source and much of the OS itself in
>> > /usr/src.
>>
>> Actually, all of FreeBSD sans the ports collection resides under
>> /usr/src. /usr/src is commonly referred to as "the world" or "the
>> system."
>>
>> > If you want to update you load the cvsup utility, either by
>> > using /stand/sysinstall and installing the binary package, or by
>> changing to /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui and
>> compiling/installing.
>>
>> You can also update your source tree in a few other methods:
>> * CVS (not CVSup) - This is how I do it. I actually keep a local
>> mirror of
>>   the entire FreeBSD repository, but that isn't necessary to use CVS.
>> * CVSup - As you described it. This is a nicer interface to CVS which
>> has
>>   the advantages of rsync.
>> * CTM - Patches are e-mailed to you and a script automatically applies
>> them
>>   every night.
>>
>> For more information on these, see the FreeBSD Handbook:
>> http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html

>> >   Sounds complex? An upgrade to the current patches in a given
>> version
>> > requires just these commands:
>> >
>> > cvsup -g -L 2 <config file>
>> > cd /usr/src
>> > make buildworld
>> > make installworld
>> > cd /usr/src/sys/compile/<machine's kernel directory>
>> > make depend
>> > make
>> > make install
>> > shutdown -r now
>>
>> This is no longer the approved and suggested method to update one's
>> kernel and world. I don't think it has been since the beginning of
>> FreeBSD 4.x. The proper way is listed in /usr/src/UPDATING, which
>> should be read every time you update your source tree. That method is:
>>
>>         make buildworld
>>         make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>>         make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>>         reboot  (in single user)
>>         make installworld
>>         mergemaster
>>         reboot
>>
>> Or, if you are like me and don't bother with singleuser mode since you
>> are a desktop system and you've put the KERNCONF= line in
>> /etc/make.conf, just do:
>>
>>    make buildworld
>>    make buildkernel
>>    make installkernel
>>    make installworld
>>    mergemaster
>>    reboot

>> >   There is a good article here http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/4111
>> about
>> > something called portupgrade - an automagic method for finding
> [...]

Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson
Omaha Linux User's Group (OLUG)
A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?
An often repeated quote on news.admin.net-abuse.email:
<I>
"Spam is not about content, it is about consent".
</i>