[olug] Red Hat tells customers, 'No more freebies!"

Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com
Mon Nov 3 22:16:12 UTC 2003

The message specifies that maintenance and errata fixes will be
discontinued.
>From what I understand, they will continue to supply security fixes for
potentially a long time.

This should have little effect on most servers.  I can't recall the last
time I updated something due to a non-security bug.

Continuing security support is good for business too.  If they don't
supply security patches, many systems will eventually have security
problems, which would hurt their reputation.

Wasn't that the last nail in the IRIX coffin (bad security rep due to
discontinued support)?

Nick Walter <waltern at iivip.com>
Sent by: olug-bounces at olug.org
11/03/2003 02:40 PM
Please respond to
waltern at iivip.com; Please respond to
Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>

Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [olug] Red Hat tells customers, 'No more freebies!"

This isn't as dire as the article makes it look.  There are really 2
things going on here.

Rh 7.X and 8.0 are going to be desupported soon.  They are getting long
in the tooth, so this makes sense.

RH 9.0 is going be desupported soon, with no successor.  This is a
little more annoying, since it's relatively young.  But there is an
upgrade path!  If you want free RH linux you can go to
fedora.redhat.com.  Or just grab another one of the free linuxes
floating around the net.  Or pay a reasonable fee to get a workstation
version of Enterprise Linux.

I see this as a minor nuisance, nothing more.

Nick Walter