[olug] Good for Redhat

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Mon Nov 3 06:04:23 UTC 2003

    Redhat is going to be requiring payment for all services rendered -
you buy the OS, you buy support, etc. They've got name brand recognition
like no one else, they've worked the system down to the point where they
get recurring revenues and the PHBs see business continuity that can be
made to depend on a company, rather than on the goodwill of a few *nix
geniuses.

    This is all Very Very Good(tm) - the griping I hear reminds me of
when the internet started going commercial in the mid 1990s - its going
to create *jobs* working on an operating system that Does Not Suck(tm).
You're free to sell all of your possesions except a laptop and camp in a
city park somewhere  in your official Debian tent begging alms for your
open source goodness, but 99.44% of the world is not of the religious
zealot variety and will take to the world Redhat is providing. Yes, it
can be improved upon (ahem, FreeBSD :-)), but it is soooooo much nicer
than babysitting a collection of Windows stuff that requires a rebuild
every time you test a new package.

   Progress, not perfection! And RPM + /etc is bigtime progress over
Windows and the registry hell hole ...

mailto:neal at lists.rauhauser.net
phone:402-301-9555
IM:Neal R Rauhauser
"After all that I've been through, you're the only one who matters,
you never left me in the dark here on my own" - Widespread Panic