[olug] Help with Redhat 9 & kppp

Irv Cobb irvcobb at huntel.net
Thu May 29 20:03:09 UTC 2003

I'm in the process of moving from Redhat 8 to 9. Pretty smooth
transition except that I can't get kppp to work for me.

It will dial out, but then dies with the following:

> May 29 14:53:37 main pppd[3660]: By default the remote system is
> required to authenticate itself
> May 29 14:53:37 main pppd[3660]: (because this system has a default
> route to the internet)
> May 29 14:53:37 main pppd[3660]: but I couldn't find any suitable
> secret (password) for it to use to do so.
> May 29 14:53:37 main pppd[3660]: (None of the available passwords
> would let it use an IP address.)

I've googled a bunch, but not found anything that helps. Tried feeding
"noauth" to pppd, but this just informs me that I must be root.

I _can_ dial out using neat, but this requires root pasword, manual
starting of the browser, and doesn't show das blinkenlights.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

Irv