[olug] OpenOffice to PDF?

Mac Petras mac at petrasweb.com
Sat May 24 17:26:24 UTC 2003

Well, I'm not on my Linux box at the moment, so I can't verify this, but I
found the following at this link:
I know there is at least 1 free PDF printerdriver for Windows. Linux...I'm
not so sure.

Create a .PDF with OpenOffice (For Linux, Windows, Mac)

The .pdf document format was created by Adobe, and OpenOffice.org makes
creating .pdf documents easy. OpenOffice 1.0 is included in the latest
versions of Mandrake, Red Hat and SuSE Linux, and is available as a free
download for Linux, Windows, and Mac OSX (beta) at OpenOffice.org.
OpenOffice is the open source sibling to StarOffice 6.0 created by Sun
Microsystems.

To create a .pdf document, open OpenOffice 1.0 and create a document. After
you are finished creating the document, save the document. Next, go to File
then Print. Under the name, choose PDF, and then check the box for "Print to
File." At the prompt for where to save the file, choose the name and
location. At this time, make sure that you make the "File Type" PDF. After
you select, the file name, and type, it will bring you back to the "Print"
menu. When you "Print" OpenOffice 1.0, will save your document as a .PDF. To
view your document use the Adobe Acrobat Reader, or any of the Linux .PDF
viewers such as xpdf or KGhostView. If you need to change your .PDF form,
you can change your initial OpenOffice 1.0 form, and then print the .pdf to
a the same or a new file.

If the .pdf document does not show up in the list of printers, go to Printer
Setup to add a new printer, and follow the instructions for installing an
Acrobat Distiller. The Help instructions within OpenOffice offer excellent
instructions on how to add the Acrobat Distiller or other printers within
OpenOfffice.
Mac Petras
Mac at PetrasWeb.com