[olug] .bash_profile and runlevels

Matthew G. Marsh mgm at midwestlinux.com
Thu May 22 15:11:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Ryan O'Rourke wrote:

> Right now I have a command in .bash_profile that starts up a Wine
> session for an electronic In/Out board called "OutnAbout". The problem
> is that .bash_profile tries to start multiple instances of the program
> every time I log in remotely.

man runlevel

It is a program that tells you what runlevel you are in.

Also I use a similar setup for detecting remote login:

if [ -n "${SSH_CLIENT}" ]; then
    echo "You are remote"
fi

With of course the execution section doing something else. And assuming
that you use SSH for remote access. You can also look for TERM=xterm when
using X remotely to avoid the startup.

So you could do something like (after unwrapping the lines):

if [[ "`/sbin/runlevel`" == "N 5" \
	&& -z "${SSH_CLIENT}" \
	&& -z "`pidof THINGIE`" ]];
then
	START.THINGIE
fi

'k?

> Basically, I want .bash_profile to look and see if the program is
> running already and if so, not attempt to start it again.
> Also, I'd like to tell .bash_profile to only attempt to start the
> program if I'm in runlevel 5. Is that possible if I default to a text
> login?
> Using RedHat 8.0
>
> Thank you.
>
> -- Ryan