[olug] USB Hub works, CDR doesn't

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Wed May 21 01:31:17 UTC 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 12:57:14PM -0500, Sam Tetherow wrote:
> cdrecord doesn't have a problem with multiple devices.  I've had true
> scsi DVD-RAM, ide CDRW and ide DVD-RW all on the machine and cdrecord
> (and dvdrecord) all handled them just fine.  I am betting it is either a
> problem with ide-scsi or the USB driver. not handling either the hot
> plug on the device or just dealing with the multiple devices.  If you
> plug the device into the USB hub does it show in the log file or in the
> /proc/bus/usb/devices file?

I pulled the reader/hub out, and plugged it back in.  This is what dmesg
said:

hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 4
Vendor: Lexar     Model: USB Storage-SMC   Rev: 0180
Vendor: Lexar     Model: USB Storage-CFC   Rev: 0180
Vendor: Lexar     Model: USB Storage-MMC   Rev: 0180
Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI
revision: 02
Vendor: Lexar     Model: USB Storage-MSC   Rev: 0180
Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI
revision: 02
Attached scsi removable disk sde at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi removable disk sdf at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
Attached scsi removable disk sdg at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
Attached scsi removable disk sdh at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 3

It could very well be the driver -- the Lexar driver in the kernel says
"experimental -- use at your own risk!"  But it's strange that when it's
unplugged I still can't find the cdr.

-- mikeh