[olug] Automating encrypted file transfers

OBrien, Timothy Irish IrishMASMS at olug.org
Wed May 21 00:26:56 UTC 2003

At a recent conference, one of my fellow presenters had a poster session
on automating encrypted data transfers. The session described how to set
up and script a secure file transfer that can be run as a cron. Candidates
for secure transfer include patron records, fine/fee data, and any other
sensitive data. Michael Stapleton is the Systems Librarian for the
Kentucky Community & Technical College System; and we had a long
conversation regarding his presentation. With the recent thread on the
OLUG list, I asked Michael if I could share it with the list, and he was
more than happy to give his blessing, stating:

 “This is one of many ways to accomplish such a task. I'd be interested in
hearing your comments, questions, and suggestions. If you or other OLUG
members find errors or things that could stand to be improved, I'd be
grateful for your comments. My script examples are sh/ksh. I run the
script on an AIX box (Voyager production server) and pull our patron
update file from a Windows box, so I admit that in places I may be either
too site-specific or too general.”

The URL for his presentation: http://unity.kctcs.edu/library/EndUser2003/

Well worth the read, and IMHO much better than the script & password
'junk' that was discussed on the list recently.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson