[olug] LDAP group authentication

Adam Haeder adamh at omaha.org
Tue May 20 16:00:15 UTC 2003

I'm in the process of standardizing on openldap for authentication for all
of my linux servers. I'm starting with Samba (most of my users are windows
users, so they want to map drives) and then I'll move on to pam.

The theory is that there will be one /etc/shadow, /etc/group and
/etc/passwd. These will be the same across all servers, so UIDs and GIDs
are standardized. Then the password and other info is stored in openldap.

I have this working now with samba on a few servers. I can successfully
authenticate with no problem.

However, I have a question. Ideally, I'd like to be able to set, in the
openldap server, what users have access to what servers. Samba has an
option for an 'ldap filter' field in smb.conf, but I can't seem to come up
with the right logic to make it work. What I'm doing is creating groups in
openldap (objectClass=groupOfUniqueNames). I would like to say "only users
in this group can authenticate against this server". I can't figure out
how to make samba do that.

Has anyone else done a setup like this? TIA

--
Adam Haeder
Assistant Vice President of Information Technology
adamh at omaha.org
(402) 345-5025 x115
PGP Public key: http://www.omaha.org/~adamh/pgp.html