[olug] slightly OT: IBM RS6000 backup tapes

ehaas at unmc.edu ehaas at unmc.edu
Fri May 16 14:51:07 UTC 2003

Ryan,

I can help. Our system uses an ADIC library, but it's the same idea. For
most robots, mt unload will spit out a tape and load the next one in the
carousel.

Please contact me at the address below and we can work out the details.

Best wishes,
Eric Haas

Eric J. Haas, Ph.D.
Systems Manager
Genetic Sequence Analysis Facility
986495 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-6495
402 559-9527
FAX 402-559-4077
ehaas at unmc.edu

                      "Ryan O'Rourke"
                      <ryano at ch-gifts.c        To:       olug at olug.org
                      om>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [olug] slightly OT: IBM RS6000 backup tapes
                      olug-bounces at olug
                      .org

                      05/16/2003 09:37
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Omaha Linux User
                      Group

I've got an IBM RS/6000 quad-processor AIX box here at work that has a
tape changer in it that we feed 100gb tapes to every week for backups.

Ever since that machine was installed a year and a half ago, it's just
been running Oracle and nobody really touches it because they're afraid.
I decided to tackle it and see if I can automate that tape changer so we
can just fill it full of tapes and run a cron to rotate them for our
weekly backup.

Does anyone have experience with these types of changers? There's no
model or serial number on it, it just says "IBM".
Can you point me in the direction of a website, or possibly donate your
own existing script that does the same thing?

Thanks.

-- Ryan