[olug] One Point Twenty-One Jigawatts

OBrien, T IrishMASMS at olug.org
Thu May 15 02:46:30 UTC 2003

<quote who="Jon H. Larsen">
> Maybe this could be a OLUG meeting subject?  I don't mind discussing it
> at  the next meeting...(did I just volunteer?)

[snipped]

Thank you for volunteering on a superb topic Jon! Please make sure you
cover setting up your PowerChute software with Linux – this is something I
have not even thought of doing yet.

> I have several APC UPS units at home.  My main unit, APC SmartUPS 900,
> is  a bit older, but still works great.  I followed the directions from
> the NUT  site to build my own APC cable using a couple DB-9 plugs and a
> Cat-5  cable.  Using PowerChute, I can have my PC shut down
> automatically after a  given amount of time.  I have a small APC BackUPS
> 300 for my cable modem  and router.  The smaller current draw allows the
> 300 to stay up longer.

[snipped]

For any of the APC units, the rule of thumb is their batteries last
between 3 to 6 years. When they go out, it is more economical to instead
purchase new batteries use the UPS unit with APC's 'trade up' program. APC
give you a superb rebate for you old UPS towards purchasing new. They take
the old one & according to APC dispose of it properly.

In fact, I have scrounged a few dead UPSes to use just with their 'trade
up' program. The folks I procured the dead UPS from paid full price for
new; and I help with the environment while getting a new UPS on the cheap.

Be sure to check it out. I have a few places where you can score UPSes if
you need them.

--
A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?