[olug] Regional Bells and the Internet

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Wed May 14 13:49:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 07:49:53AM -0500, Craig Wolf wrote:
> This is basically about a bill recently passed in Illinois but they
> (the technologically inclined people in Illinois) are concerned that
> this is a trend that just happens to be starting in Illinois.  I have
> no idea if anything like this in Nebraska but I am trying to do some
> checking.

It's probably not going to happen in NE, because we have a plethra of
phone companies here (Qwest, Alltel, and tiny NCTC, to name a few).  I
don't want it to, either. If you know someone in IL, make sure they know
about this.

I used to do tech support for LAN lines all over the country, and I
remember dealing with SBC and Amertech (who SBC bought out to take over
IL).  Neither of those companies had anything that resembled support for
their customers, and they still don't (my brother in Dallas couldn't get
a phone line from SBC to his new house for about a month and a half after
he moved in!). The fact that SBC could have a government-sponsored
monopoly anywhere brings fear to my heart.

-
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://www.binary.net/thehaas

The test is, sometimes there's no place to pull over - sometimes you
can't stop, and you have to find a way to keep going.
		 -- John Irving,  "A Widow for One Year"