[olug] One Point Twenty-One Jigawatts

Vincent vincentr at cox.net
Wed May 14 05:45:11 UTC 2003

I agree with what everyone said (very good advice), but no one addressed Joe's question.  There is no protection from Lightning that
may strike your home, or near enough to enter your house.

Surge protectors and UPS will protect you from surges, spikes and brown-outs, but would do no nothing against lightning.  Lightning
is just too powerful and will arc across any blown fuse.
I was in a house struck by lightning once and saw it arc from one power outlet to another across the room.  If it'll arc 30+ feet,
that 1cm fuse won't be a problem and forget about "paths of least resistance" too!