[olug] One Point Twenty-One Jigawatts

Tim V - DZ iceburn at dangerzone.com
Tue May 13 14:48:33 UTC 2003

Had pretty good luck with "expensive surge protectors."  I like APC
brand, though they seem to be a bit pricier.  The BackUPS office line
throws a little battery into the mix - one that will keep a little Linux
box going for a while, but if you have a large monitor only expect a few
minutes.

About the worst I've seen with "cheap surge protectors" (like ACE brand
spike bars, and the like) are blown power supplies.  Just swap the power
supply out with a new one and everything in the computer still works.

I'm not sure who's liable for what with the OPPD thing...I'd imagine the
scenario would be similar to an insurance company, where at some point
you'll want them to replace something and they'll think they shouldn't
have to...

$0.02

-t