[olug] How One Microsoft User Made The Switch To Open Source

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Fri May 9 17:37:11 UTC 2003

Trent Melcher said:
> Yes I believe your right, If you are a MS customer you probably have
> paid for it a couple times over.
>
> I was actually impressed with the new OS, granted MS did put on the
> show, so yes they are going to toot their horn about there product.
> But, IMHO I think they have finally had a wake up call and a real kick
> in the ass to put a product out there that is worth something, I mean
> the benchmarks they showed (again their stats so take it as you will)
> were so out there, what did they do throw all their current OS's out the
> window and do a total rewrite?

Benchmarks on what? Are the figures possibly due to the new file system?
(Or did the new FS not make it into the new OS?)  What other things are in
there that impressed you?  Have they finally exposed the mounting/linking
capabilities of the FS in the tools, for instance?  Have they maybe given
us decent soft links?  Better impersonation (su) capabilities?  Done any
more to address DLL hell?

--
William E. Kempf