[olug] to X or not to X (on a server)?

Jeff Hinrichs jeffh at delasco.com
Fri May 9 14:38:14 UTC 2003

Brian Wiese said:
> so, to have the option of X or to not on a server, what's best?
All of my servers are headless so X is a waste.  As an aside, I tend to
strip every piece of software that is not needed off of my servers.  Kind
of a "bastion" mentatility.  Less software, less security risks.  Also,
since I manage them remotely, normally ssh, I've got a browser on the
machine I'm managing from, I've got multiple terminals in my ssh session
ala screen.

screen is vunderbar for remote management, if you get knocked off the
process continues to run and you just reconnect to the system and reattach
to the session.

-Jeff