[olug] to X or not to X (on a server)?

Eric Penne epenne at olug.org
Fri May 9 12:25:56 UTC 2003

I don't install X on any of my servers.  Primarily because they aren't
connected to a monitor.  I also don't want to have another mouse sitting
next to the server.  I like to put the server in an inconspicuous place
and lay the keyboard on top of it.  X is just one more thing to configure
and update.  None of the things I use a server for need a graphical
interface.  I don't think their would be any sort of performance benefit
unless you leave X running all the time.

For administration I install Webmin.  I use it to control TinyDNS,
dnscache, samba, DHCP, and ssh.  I install sshd for anything that I'm not
comfortable doing in Webmin (file maintainance and scp).

I've also heard that Samba in Debian stable is not the best choice for a
file server.  I can't remember the reasons why though. :)  Something about
missing features and bugginess.  I use Debian unstable for everything.  My
desktops I use knoppix then do a dist-upgrade to unstable (pain in the
butt).

Eric