[olug] Compiling for your PC

Nate Rotschafer writetogenius at hotmail.com
Wed May 7 22:40:07 UTC 2003

You _can_ have O6 I think but the point of anything above O3 is very little
and makes compiling on a non dual processor machine pointless.  Exporting
CFLAGS may work; however, that is not the std way to do it.  The best way to
do it and stay consistent with how debian does packaging is to edit the file
and no just automatically build the package.  This is so that one package
will work on 386+ and not compiling for specific platforms which is
unrealistic for a package based distro to do.  Also remember to hold the
package back or when there is an update you will get the default package
once again (I learned this after compiling my of exim with mysql support
into a deb and installing it).  If you have questions about the packaging
process the best bet may be to take this off list and I would be happy to
help as I was the original packager of KDE 3.0 for debian :-)

Thanks,
Nate