FW: [olug] Possible error message

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Wed May 7 02:14:48 UTC 2003

Trent Melcher wrote:

> [...]

That's an old rule of thumb that really doesn't necessarily apply to
modern systems.  VM subsystems have improved quite a bit since the 1980s :)

Does a Linux firewall with 32 MB - one that's not running squid :) -
REALLY need ANY swap, much less 64MB?  NO

Does that database server with 2GB RAM REALLY need that 4GB swap?  Well,
maybe it does...

Does a workstation (ie MINE!) with 1GB+ RAM REALLY need 2GB+ swap?  NO

Does having swap help performance?  YES (at least, I've heard it does
under Linux, I've never run without swap to find out)

YMMV, of course.  It all depends on the situation, and most of the ones
I run into you do NOT *need* 2x RAM for swap.  99% of the time it's too
much for the application (ie it's wasted disk space because it's never
used), and the rest of the time it's way too little (mostly because the
machine's owner doesn't want to spend the $35 to get that extra Crucial
256MB DDR266).

> I cant remember exactly, but there is a 4 GB limitation for 32bit
> processors, it either on physical RAM or Virtual RAM, it may be both,
> havent looked it up in a while.

Without PAE, 4GB physical; 36GB physical with PAE.  PAE is this feature
on PPro (maybe PII) and newer CPUs that changes memory addressing a
little bit (36-bit addresses instead of 32-bit).

64GB total available address space.

That's with 32-bit ix86 processors, of course :)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us