[olug] (OT) What to do with a VAX

Eric Johnson eric_j at oasis.novia.net
Tue May 6 17:53:59 UTC 2003

NetBSD runs on Vax. Also, you can get a free non-commercial license for
OpenVMS. It used to be run through DECnet; I'm not sure where you get it
now, but I just saw a story on The Register or The Inquirer about it in
the last couple of weeks.

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Carl Lundstedt wrote:

> The only Open OS that I've found that can run on these older DEC
> machines is OpenBSD.
>
> Although, if you have a license for OpenVMS, VMS is a really nice OS.
> You might stick with that (although I don't know any open projects that
> run on VMS.  Our VMS machine has to run all proprietary servers. :( ).
>
> Carl Lundstedt
> UNL
>
> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 11:36, Kevin Lanik wrote:
> > I have recently required a fairly old VAXen and am wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to what I could do with it. I have been thinking possible a file server but I'm certain there are more creative (and better suited  for the machine...) things to do with this. It currently has OpenVMS but I'm not opposed to trying a BSD or even the experimental Linux on it. Just thought I'd throw this out to OLUG and see what people think...Thanks! Kevin

-- Eric Johnson
-- eric_j at oasis.novia.net

"Ahh, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package.
    How efficient of you."

    -- Londo Molari

            /*\         ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
            \ /         - AGAINST HTML EMAIL