[olug] Fw: FC: Linus Torvalds on digital rights management in Linux kernel

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu May 1 19:00:22 UTC 2003

--
--
|So, the technology doesn't "lead" to what you and I both fear.  It really
|has nothing to do with it, other than it's a mechanism that can be used
|to enforce the real issue... bad laws.

I don't think it's flawed logic at all, it's a projection of what may
happen ... not a certainty, but a strong likelihood considering the laws
the way laws are being made.  I don't think the "Action A" is the creation
of DRM technology... but the "way they wan't to apply it" (which is bad).

I don't have much of a problem with DRM, technology, information in
general at all... it can all be used for good or evil purposes... but
thats the catch, the way this DRM is being used, the laws that may make it
mandatory[1] for every "computer" and the way the trust is laid out
(computer actions must be trusted by M$[2], or the user?[3]), I just
currently don't agree that it should be done 'this way'.

Just because something can be done, we need to question whether we should.

[1]  "code but dont try programming act" mandating DRM in everything
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/

[2] Can you trust your computer?
http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/10/21/1449250.shtml?tid=19

[3] Cryptographers sound warnings on Microsoft security plan
http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20030415S0013

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru