[olug] Fw: FC: Linus Torvalds on digital rights management in Linux kernel

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu May 1 15:06:01 UTC 2003

I like the Register's satirical commentary on the whole story...

What's great is the closing lines, similiar to our discussions about the
(inevitable?) slippery slope of the argument...  =)

----------
Larry McVoy did have a nice summary which, although he may have been
talking about patent implications, resonates here:

Me: Action A is leading to reaction B which you don't want.
You: Action A is perfectly legal, etc., etc.
Me: It's not about whether it is legal or not, it's about reaction B.
You: Action A is perfectly legal, etc., etc.
Me: Reaction B is what you don't want, it's behaviour A which is the
cause. You: Action A is perfectly legal, etc., etc.
Me: You keep missing the point about the reaction B.
You: Action A is perfectly legal, etc., etc.
Me: Err, umm, how many times do I have to tell you it is the reaction that
is what you want to avoid? You: Action A is perfectly legal, etc., etc.
Me: Sigh.