[olug] apt-get with RedHat basics

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Mon Mar 31 20:09:21 UTC 2003

Does anyone know how I can use apt-get on RH 8 to exclude certain
packages I don't want to upgrade?
For example, I would like to upgrade all packages on my system except
those associated with Apache, PHP, MySQL, and glibc.
Google tells me something like 'apt-get dselect-upgrade hold
packages_to_hold' should work to exclude packages on Debian, but the
dselect option doesn't seem to be supported on RH.

I was able to work around the problem by doing 'apt-get upgrade
--download-only' and then deleting the packages I didn't want to upgrade
and installing the fresh RPMs individually but I don't want to have to
do this every time I want to update a system.

Thanks.

-- Ryan