[olug] Upgrading/Changing Distros

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Thu Mar 27 15:01:32 UTC 2003

OK, I've got a RedHat 7.0 box that I'd like to upgrade.  In addition, I'd
prefer to move it to Mandrake as well (9.1 specifically).  This box has
around 25 users and is a production server.  I know that my Mandrake 9.0
box easily upgraded to 9.1 with out destroying any user/group settings or
data (of course, I backed up just to be sure).  Can anyone tell me if an
"upgrade" which switches distros should fare as well?  If not, is it
possible to move the user and group definitions, retaining passwords, etc?
 What files would need to be saved to do this?

--
William E. Kempf