[olug] UNO ACM - Blackhat 2002 - Securing UNIX FTP servers

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Wed Mar 26 07:01:45 UTC 2003

I just thought I'd post this to OLUG as well as my own announcement
mailing list (sorry for the dups people) since this is very UNIX/Linux
related and talks about WU-FTPd in particular.  If you'd like to check out
this video presentation from last summers Blackhat conference, come on
down!  If you would like to receive futher UNO ACM Infosec discussion
announcements, please email me personally.

peace
Brian

	Blackhat 2002 - Las Vegas	Tape #28
	Jay Beale - Attacking and Securing UNIX FTP Servers

More information:
http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-usa-02/bh-usa-02-speakers.html#Jay%20Beale

The Blackhat presentation:
http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-02/bh-us-02-beale-unixftp.ppt

The Defcon presentation:
http://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-10/dc-10-presentations/dc10-beale-unix-bastille/dc10-beale-attackdefendunix.ppt

This is actually a very good presentation... I actually saw part of his
presentation at Defcon and at the moment thought I would never run an FTP
server ever again!  Well, of course there are some tricks, but there are
also ways to secure UNIX FTP servers.  Jay is pretty funny, but picks on
WU-FTPd just a little.  =)

The security discussions start at 8:30pm in the War Room (279) of the
Peter Kiewit Institute at 67th Street and Pacific.

background:
These Information Security discussions are a production of the security
special interest group of the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO)
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).  The discussions center around
a video tape presentation (from Dr. Blaine Burnham's personal archive)
made at past Black Hat Briefings and Defcon conferences.  These meetings
are informal in nature, and open to the mature public who have interest in
learning and promoting information security in an ethical manner.

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru