[olug] OpenOffice app server?

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Tue Mar 25 16:11:25 UTC 2003

The easiest and least efficient way to do this would be to give the windows
users each a vnc client and then start a bunch of vnc daemons on the RedHat
system.  Then they could connect to one of the VNC servers whenever they
wanted to use OpenOffice (or any of the available linux desktop apps).  This
solution could be set up in minutes and is reasonably horrible in terms of
security, number of users who could access the box at once, and resource
efficiency on the box.

A better but trickier answer would be to have all the windows systems mount
a samba share from the RedHat box as drive Q or somesuch, and install
OpenOffice for windows on the share from one of the windows boxes.  The
tricky part would be in capturing all of the changes the OpenOffice
installer makes to the local disks, and replicating them across all windows
machines that need to use OpenOffice.  I'm guessing the OpenOffice installer
modifies the registry, it may install fonts, dlls, etc.

Nick Walter