[olug] Unix Tip: GET YOUR IP-ADDRESS

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Fri Mar 21 15:27:53 UTC 2003

Sam Tetherow said:
> What would Mom and Pop really need to know their ip address for?

Tech support asks?

> So what is the 'simple' way to get your ip address under windows?

ipconfig.

But I think you misunderstood what I said.  Mom and Pop don't have a
problem because things are difficult on Linux, per se (though there ARE
things that are too complex for them, and it's probably that way for the
very reason I'm trying to point out here).  After all, ifconfig gives them
the info nearly as easily as ipconfig (there's less technical "static" in
ipconfigs output, but that's neither good or bad by itself).  No, my point
was that Linux users typically (not a universal axiom... I'm not trying to
paint with too wide a brush) consider things that they do on a day to day
basis as a "power user" to be simple.  The code given was anything but
simple for a non-technical person.  You and I could easily figure out what
it meant... heck, we both probably do the same sort of thing at least 3
times a day (I even do the same sort of thing just as frequently on
Windows, btw).  But we're not in the same category as Mom and Pop.

--
William E. Kempf