[olug] samba sharing network printers?

Don Kauffman dkauffman at tconl.com
Fri Mar 21 13:14:30 UTC 2003

I had to set up my Canon LBP 460 this way as there was no driver for it
under linux.

linuxprinting.org http://www.linuxprinting.org/  was my primary resource.

(Note: If the driver they have listed under linux doesn't work well with
windows you may have to experiment a bit with other drivers.  ie they
recommended a hplj3 driver on linux to connect to the above printer.
DIDNOT! I ended up using a generic laserjet driver.)

Let me know if you have more specific questions as you go along.

Don

Brian Wiese wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone else has setup samba to share networked printers
>(HPs, jetdirect, or others?) and just how you did this/how it works?
>
>For samba to share the network printer to a Win9x client, the samba server
>must have some idea of how to communicate with it... but what if there are
>no linux drivers for the network printer?  How can samba still spool and
>send the print jobs to this network printer... what kind of /etc/printcap
>setup is required to direct print jobs to a network socket?
>
>thanks, peace
>
>  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru

Don Kauffman
Email: mailto:dkauffman at tconl.com