[olug] Unix Tip: GET YOUR IP-ADDRESS

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu Mar 20 19:47:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 13:43, William E. Kempf wrote:
> Unix Guru Universe said:
> > Type this simple command at the unix-prompt
> >
> > ifconfig | grep "inet addr" |  grep -v "127.0.0.1" | awk '{print $2;}' |
> >  awk -F':' '{print $2;}'
>
> *chuckles*
>
> While as a developer I love the power behind these "little tools piped
> together", it's exactly this sort of attitude ("Type this _simple_
> command", emphasis mine) which continues to lead me to think Linux is for
> the Gurus, and not Mom and Pop.
Well, for "Mom and Pop" there is GUI tools such as Linuxconf.  The
trouble is the instructions for how to get an IP from linuxconf is
longer than the above command (which doesn't seem to work on my Mandrake
distro).

Linux is all about doing things you want to do in ways you want to do
them.

--
Carl Lundstedt <clundst at unlserve.unl.edu>
University of Nebraska