[olug] Initial Network Configuration

Trent Melcher tmelcher at trilogytel.com
Sun Mar 16 20:51:18 UTC 2003

An unmanaged switch is basically you plug it in and that is it.  Managed
switches allow you to setup VLANs, change ports speed, SNMP statistics
on each port, you can also setup trunk groups for traffic isolation.
Some managed switches allow flow control, bridging, multicast filtering,
etc.

2K MAC Address memory is the amount of MAC addresses the switch will
hold in its cache,  on Managed switches the cache time can be changed to
fit your needs,  This helps because the switch doesn't have to broadcast
out to every port to find a specific IP,  it will use what's in its
cache table till the expire time. If your network is running static IPs
and the ports on which they reside doesn't change much, this can be set
fairly high.

Layout all depends on the equipment, number of locations,  types of
usage.
Cisco, Intel, and 3Com all have Networking How-To's on their websites.
I don't have the specific URLs on hand though.

Hope this helps you out some.

Trent

               \\\///
              / _  _ \