[olug] Signing email to lists [was: Unix Tip: BC AND NOT BEFORE AD]

bwiese bwiese at cotse.net
Mon Mar 17 04:20:56 UTC 2003

> <quote who="Terence Bradshaw">
>> On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 14:23, Brian Wiese wrote:
>>

>>> The message's content type was not explicitly allowed
>>> ----------------------------
>>> Is this because I started signing my email with a GPG attachment?
>>> (This email is not signed)
>>
>> I ran into that also.  That is why the seti at home topic I started says
>> second try.  I got exactly the same result.
>>
>> I haven't yet found an e-mail client that I am totally happy with.  I
>> am using Evolution right now because I like having the information
>> from my handheld in there (all my e-mail addresses, etc.), but I can't
>> get it to put my GPG signature in in a UUencoded format... it keeps
>> doing a MIME type (am I using the correct terminology here?... I'm not
>> super familiar with how attachments work).  Other e-mail clients
>> attach my signature in a UUencoded style, but they don't have the
>> other information from my handheld.
> [snipped]

I noticed KMail users on the Huskerlug list have their email signatures
placed right into their email text.  I assume it is entirely a client side
(MUA) problem... mine (Sylpheed) does attachments and KMail does the sig
in text.  I wish I knew a way to change this.

<snip>
> Since your email was not directly received form the sender; passing
> through the mail list server, your client will tell you that the
> signature is bad & can not be verified. So, sending a email to the list
> with a digital signature is worthless, wasting bandwidth & server time.

I get most of my emails from mailing lists, and Sylpheed often reports
(IIRC) that many of the signatures are good.  I could double check on
this, but my opinion was that it only failed to verify signatures if the
sender did not have their key submited to the PGP Key servers.

(sorry for continuing this new topic thread, I'll try to switch to a new
compose window when I'm steering off topic.  what annoys me the most
though, is when replies to a topic are not threaded as they should --
imagine this has to do with the client MUA)