[olug] Challenge adding Perl Modules

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 15 22:54:12 UTC 2003

--- ktb <xyf at nixnotes.org> wrote:

I just said that cause I couldn't think of anything
else clever to say, I am on the wagon.

> > And why does my head hurt...too much beer?
> >

> And now we get to the real problem:)
>
> By default most linux programs don't report a
> message if the operation
> succeeded.

You are correct with this statement, there is no error
output, thus I don't know why it won't install.

> Rpm does report error messages.  Among others -
> If there are broken dependencies, you will get error
> messages telling
> you what dependencies need to be installed.  If the
> program is already
> installed, you will be told as much.  You should
> also get error messages
> if you try and install as a non root user.
>
> > >What switches are you using with "rpm"
> > > when you are trying to
> > > install the module?
> >
> > Example done as root:
> >
> > rpm -ivh perl-Tk-a.b-c.i386.rpm
> >
> > And...nothing...no hash marks/%, just some
> clocking
> > and that is it.  The same if I tried perl-curses
> > module rpm as well.
> >

> What do you mean by clocking?

After typing rpm -ivh perl-Tk-a.b-c.i386.rpm all
I get is a return and a blinking cursor.  Again, no
hashmarks, no %, no nothing, just a blinking cursor.

> I don't have any Red Hat 8.0 systems.  I tried
> installing the
> perl-Curses package for RH 8 at
> http://www.bastille-linux.org/perl-rpm-chart.html
> on a AS 2.1 system to see if it behaved like a
> normal .rpm.
> It seems to behave.
>
> # rpm -ivh perl-Curses-1.06-4mdk.i586.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         perl-base >= 2:5.8.0 is needed by
> perl-Curses-1.06-4mdk
>
> Don't know what to tell you.  I would say your
> packages are being
> corrupted on download

Can you shed more light on a corrupt package on
download?  I've heard of packages that can be trojaned
and you should check their signatures.

> If you can't get the rpms to install I would try
> installing from source.
> I know you said you didn't want to do that but...

I may try that, but now I have a new problem...see my

=====
Winning an argument on the internet is like getting 1st place at the Special Olympics