[olug] Signing email to lists [was: Unix Tip: BC AND NOT BEFORE AD]

IrishMASMS IrishMASMS at olug.org
Sat Mar 15 23:17:26 UTC 2003

<quote who="Terence Bradshaw">
> On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 14:23, Brian Wiese wrote:
>

>> The message's content type was not explicitly allowed
>> ----------------------------
>> Is this because I started signing my email with a GPG attachment?
>> (This email is not signed)
>
> I ran into that also.  That is why the seti at home topic I started says
> second try.  I got exactly the same result.
>
> I haven't yet found an e-mail client that I am totally happy with.  I am
> using Evolution right now because I like having the information from my
> handheld in there (all my e-mail addresses, etc.), but I can't get it to
> put my GPG signature in in a UUencoded format... it keeps doing a MIME
> type (am I using the correct terminology here?... I'm not super familiar
> with how attachments work).  Other e-mail clients attach my signature in
> a UUencoded style, but they don't have the other information from my
> handheld.
[snipped]

I have ran into similar problems as well – but it has to do with how the
PKI signature is authenticated & how the mail list client handles the
signature & mail. IIRC.

Since your email was not directly received form the sender; passing
through the mail list server, your client will tell you that the signature
is bad & can not be verified. So, sending a email to the list with a
digital signature is worthless, wasting bandwidth & server time.

Can we assume that the OLUG DICKtator set the mail list to reject any
attachments – possibly to do with stripping HTML from emails? This (I
think) would include your signature attachment.

--
A: No.
Q: Should I include e-mail quotations after my reply?