[olug] users.olug.org

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Thu Mar 13 06:18:25 UTC 2003

Though this appears rather incriminating at first glance, given the spirit
of this conversation, I cannot believe any malice was intended.  This
looks more like practical connectivity testing to me, something I would
commonly do from any box.  Outlawing nmap is basically like outlawing the
ping, it's a tool to retrieve information (that could be used for good or
bad, or expose insecurities people would hope to remain hidden), valuable
information especially when one is trying to test their own security (see
what ports they have open/accessible from the outside, is the barn door
open?) and see how they appear to others on the Internet, and how they
match up.  I understand where you are coming from though, you are the
admin, just my $0.02.

peace
Brian