[olug] Linux Laptop v/s. Apple Powermac

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Tue Mar 11 02:56:56 UTC 2003

I'm running Knoppix 01-01-2003 on it just fine (even detected wifi card
and all for me).  I got it online from the dell refurb outlet[1] last
July.

Unfortunately, I guess I paid my m$ tax with it and found no way to get
around it online (perhaps calling Dell and complaining might have
helped?)... also, as soon as I got it, it was preinstalled with WinXP home
- so I think even booting it voided my ability to turn it back in for
windows refund day[2].  There are plenty of docs online about it though,
people have had tons[3] of success with the 8100/8200 (desktop/)laptops.
=)

I opted for the cheaper 1400x1050 xsvga screen, on a gforce2go, minipci
builtin wifi 3c920, firewire (no usb2.0 unfortunately), 1.4ghz p4, 30gig,
8xDVD/8xCDR combo for about 1700 plus 3 year warranty on top of that.
I've seen some good buys lately, on Compaqs and such with usb2.0 and built
in wifi -- I hear their support is a bit shaky though... and thats
important for me (can't upgrade laptop mobo easily/cheaply).

... one thing I do NOT like, the sound/firewire ports right underneath the
PCMCIA slots. =( but I get by.  1600x1400 might be nicer if you can afford
it, but the screens/graphics are quite nice.

[1] http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/default.htm  (select model to view
inventory)[2] http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6471
[3] http://www.rm-r.net/~meff/i8200/
http://www.deselaers.com/DellInst/
http://www.stephanwehrheim.de/computer/dell8200+suse80/dell8200+suse80.html
http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/Inspiron8200.en.html
-- and the 8100s/8000s ---
http://vergil.chemistry.gatech.edu/~park/dell.html
http://halfdans.net/index.py/standard?c=show&p=69
http://www-lehre.inf.uos.de/~ftrenkam/i8k-installation.php
http://perso.efrei.fr/~parmelee/

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:44:19 -0800
"Jacobs, Robert A." <RAJACOBS at northropgrumman.com> wrote:

|Brian,
|
|	Are you running Debian on the Inspiron 8200?  That was one of
|the machines I was looking at?
|
|	Were you able to get around the Microsoft tax?

|>|
|>|
|>base station
|>feet through 3

|>|
|>|Any PC laptop users want to comment on their wireless experience?
|>|