[olug] JDBC - ODBC huh?

andrew olug at einer.org
Mon Mar 10 21:19:03 UTC 2003

A windows machine needs to be running the db in order for you to access
it over ODBC.  The ODBC-JDBC bridge mostly works (though some JDBC 2.0
stuff doesn't work, and getting a list of primary keys is NOT trivial).
 MSDE (which is what I would suggesting converting your access db into)
works with a pure jdbc driver from freetds.org ... (this driver also
works with MSSQL servers and as a super happy bonus, it's free)

You can't expose an ODBC interface to a Microsoft db from a linux box
(unless something new has happened in the last year or so).  If you are
running from Access you must serve it from an MS box.

There are apps out there that can help you convert your Access DB into
something more cross platform and/or standards compliant.

andrew