[olug] JDBC - ODBC huh?

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 14:05:23 UTC 2003

Here's my situation:

Linux Tomcat server needs to access MS Access database on NT4 server.

What I know:

The MS Access database can be accessed via ODBC.

What I need verification of:

A JDBC-ODBC driver is a driver that allows the Tomcat server to speak
"JDBC" and the driver converts it to "ODBC".  The "ODBC" command can
then be sent through whatever medium (internal to the machine, network,
etc.) to an ODBC-MS Access driver that will return the information
requested.  If this is internal to the machine it would make sense to
have a direct JDBC-MS Access driver.  If it is over the network the
ODBC interface to the database allows any machine that sends ODBC
queries to access the database.

Is this correct?
If so, I should not have to touch the NT4 machine running MS Access at
all if it has an ODBC interface.  All I should have to do is setup
JDBC-ODBC driver on the Tomcat server.

I've looked at one JDBC-ODBC driver from http://www.easysoft.com but it
is really expensive for the application we are looking at.  Is there
any  open source JDBC-ODBC drivers?

Thanks
Eric